[XML-SIG] parsing xml schema

Alan Kennedy pyxml@xhaus.com
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 19:03:18 +0000

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > Unless it's changed a lot in the past two months, I'd avoid XSV -- just
> > building it was an adventure.  :(
>
> Of course, I'd personally take a different route: avoid XML Schema in
> the first place :-)

I've been looking at pyTrex for the last couple of days, and it's pretty
good.

While the coverage of the "spec" is not 100%, it covers all the important
areas, and most importantly can be extended with your own datatypes. All you
need to do to add your own datatypes is implement a function which takes a
string and returns true or false depending on whether the string is
acceptable as an instance of that datatype or not.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to make it work with 4Suite doms, and
I'll be using it in my current project.

In the long run, TREX will be going away, to be superceded by RELAX-NG, which
is a combination of the best of RELAX, TREX and SCHEMATRON. Details on
RELAX-NG from

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng

In summary, pyTrex works, its fast, and its here right now. And it's
straightforward to learn. I've been teaching a couple of non-programmers
Python and XML for the last two months, and they picked up Trex in a matter
of hours.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the US folks out there.

Alan.