[XML-SIG] PyXML and 4Suite possible conflict

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:06:57 -0700

> > I suggest mentionning that the conflict will only occure with 4Suite
> > version < 0.12. Since 0.12 will have it's own versions in Ft/Xml/XPath and
> > Ft/Xml/Xslt, ther should be no conflict, as long as you know what you
> > import.
>
> Well, I'd rather not speculate about the future. Once 4Suite 0.12 is
> released, we can say for sure.
>
> > I have not checked in details, but I believe the main interfaces are
> > compatible.
>
> That is certainly the intention. However, it will still take some work
> to get there. I guess from a 4Suite POV, PyXML will "just" be released
> with an old version of 4XSLT. However, it is worse: In 4Suite 0.11,
> the stylesheet reader is quite closely tied to pDomlette, to a degree
> that integrating it into PyXML amounts to rewriting it from scratch.

We're abstracting away from any particular DOM implementation again.  Now
there is an Ft.Xml.DOMLETTE value which is a module which contains all that is
needed for a Domlette.  I will look into your older patches in order to write
a tiny minidom->Domlette interface wrapper, which should take care of the
problem.

Also worth noting that in 0.12.0, pDomlette will pretty much be in the skids.
Mike is working on cDomlette mutation now.  AWhile he's at it, he's making
sure all Domlettes have the precisely same interface.

4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management