[XML-SIG] DOM and empty namespaces

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 20:37:27 -0700

> > OK, I've just commited the changes to 4DOM.
> >
> >  1. raise NamespaceErr when '' is used as a nsURI
>
> I think that was a mistake. "" is a valid namespace, unless I'm
> mistaken. Eg.
>
> <foo xmlns:empty="">
>  <empty:element />
> </foo>
>
> conforms to the namespace spec, AFAICT.

I disagree.  True, the spec is quite unclear, but it does explicitly state
that "" is used to remove a default namespace declaration.  I would say that
this probably disqualifies "" from being a proper nsref.

4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management