[XML-SIG] SAX API clarifications

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:20:38 +0100

> | Leaving the default at true means that we have to change
> | expatreader.  That change may break existing applications which
> | don't care to set the feature explicitly.
>
> Actually, expatreader in CVS is already changed. I'm having trouble
> figuring out the right CVS command-line arguments to establish
> when[1], but I suspect that it was revision 1.12 back in June.

Are we still talking about feature_namespaces? That had been
defaulting to 0 since it was committed into Python (i.e. rev. 1.1 in
Python CVS). drivers2/drv_pyexpat had a default of 1 for _namespaces
up to 1.5, until it was moved into expatreader.

To find out changes quite easily, you can use the cvs annotate
command, which will give you for each line the revision when this line
was last changed. Using "cvs annotate -r1.5 drv_pyexpat.py" will tell
you when each line in rev 1.5 was introduced.

> Since nobody's complained about this it seems likely that the
> problem is not going to be very substantial.

_namespaces had the value 1 only in releases 0.5.4, 0.5.6, 0.6.0; it
was 0 since 0.6.1. Given that separating namespace and non-namespace
events was also introduced in 0.6.1 (along with other significant
changes), I think everybody using SAX2 at that time would know how to
change his code.

> Does anyone want to argue that we should change our minds and have the
> default be "true"?

I don't see a reason for that, yet.

> [1] Does anyone know how to make the Emacs CVS integration work with
>     CVS_RSH set to 'ssh'?

What is the problem? Asking for the pass phrase? I always use
ssh-agent, so I don't have to enter a pass phrase when invoking cvs.
Then, I think VC should work fine (without trying).

HTH,
Martin