[XML-SIG] Getting Started

Albert XML avisser@operamail.com
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:22:17 +0100

Thanks Martin, this is just the type of answer I wanted.

>Asking n XML experts, you'll get probably n+1 or more answers.

But you'd have to ask first, right? I mean, it's not in the HowTo for instance. That's why I'd like to contribute.

>1. Just use print statements.

Right, that's what I'm doing at the moment. It just feels awkward to use a parser for reading, and then "hand-write" back
new and modified data.

>2. Have something emit SAX events, and use a SAX XML writer.

The hard part is probably to find out how to send these events and where to send them to? Can you suggest some
reading I can to find more about this?

>3. Create a DOM tree, modify it, and write it back.

After my post, I did some more browsing on the net to find out more about when/why to use SAX or DOM.I landed on
http://sax.sourceforge.net/?selected=event, this confirmed my idea that for this type of application I'd better use SAX.
Am I right in assuming that in general SAX may be better suited for database applications and DOM for document-based
apps?

Greetings,
Albert