[XML-SIG] Getting Started

Albert XML avisser@operamail.com
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:17:11 +0100

Hi!
I hope the following makes sense.
A few weeks ago, I started diving into processing XML with Python.
I am trying to more or less rewrite an application I made in MS Access using html for presentation, Python for processing,
and xml for storage. At the moment this is all "just a hobby", done in my spare time and progressing very slowly.

So anyway, from the XML HowTo I pieced together how to get the data I want to present from my xml documents.
Since most of the finished chapters deal with SAX and not specifying a parser, this is where I started off.
After some more reading and trying out, I figured out some sort of "data modification" process (using the XMLWriter
class from SaxUtils and renaming the output document after deleting the original) but that way I can only work with
existing data.

My main question(s) at the moment is (are): how to create new xml documents, new elements, new attributes (like in
database terms "creating a new record")? Which parser and which methods can I use? How do I tell my program what
to do?

In this respect I am more than  willing to contribute to some sort of "How To" or "Getting Started" document. I really
hate this having to piece it all together and not knowing where to look, and I'd love.to help spare others the experience.

Greetings,
Albert Visser.

Btw, I am a professional software developer, but not (yet) in this area.