[XML-SIG] Re: [4suite] pDomlette and 4Suite 0.12

Mike Olson Mike.Olson@fourthought.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:20:59 -0700

Alexandre Fayolle wrote:

> I take it from the messages I've seen on the list during the week that
> 4Suite 0.12 will feature some important changes in the domlettes. Since
> Narval currently heavily depends on pDomlette, I'd like to ask a few
> questions so that we can planify our next moves:
>
>  * will pDomlette be available in 4Suite 0.12?

Yes, though you will have to try harder to use it.  I believe we are
moving to

from Ft.Xml import domlette and it will try very hard to use cDomlette,
but default to pDomlette.  You should still be able to get to pDomlette
though.

>  * will there be a 0.11.2 before 0.12?

No, the changes re too drastic.

>  * there's been some talks about a possible merge between pDomlette and
> minidom. Mike Olson seems to be keen on this one, I fail to remember
> anyone from PyXML being enthusiastic (please correct me if I'm wrong).
> Does this mean that pDomlette will no longer be supported, and that
> minidom will go on by itself?

I'm keen on it because they are so similar so they seem redundant.

>  * do you accept patches on pDomlette, or have you decided to stop
> maintaining it completely?

We still maintain it for people like the Mac folks (atleast until we can
get cDomlette to compile every where).  Why do you need pDomlette over
cDomlette?

>  * what is the status of the R/W cDomlette? I can see there is some code
> along these lines in the CVS repository, but it doesn't seem to be
> activated.

Its not done yet, but it will be by 12.0.  Chime can probably give a
better status.

Mike