[XML-SIG] building XML docs using ?

14 May 2001 23:57:13 +0200

* Joe Murray

| So basically, is there a lightweight XML module which provides for
| (as a graphics programmer would say) "immediate mode" output, with
| as nice an interface as the DOM modules?

As Martin says SAX has the advantage that it does not store the entire
document in memory and so can be used to write applications that
operate with a fixed amount of memory (more or less). Unless your
document structure is too complex I would go for this.

minidom also has mechanisms that can be used to build only parts of
the tree at a time and throw them away afterwards. This may or may not
work for your processing. These mechanisms are not documented, either,
so it may be tricky to get them to work.

Pyxie also has support for building partial trees and discarding them
as you go. As an additional benefit it has an API that, IMHO, is far
nicer than the DOM API. It's unlikely to be very fast, though.

| Oh, and BTW, can XML solve all my problems???  ;-)

I'm afraid not. You'll need topic maps for that... :-)

--Lars M.