[XML-SIG] Re: [4suite] ReleaseNode interface in 4XSLT

Mike Olson Mike.Olson@fourthought.com
Sun, 13 May 2001 19:20:48 -0600

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > The thing I don't like about the reader, is that you need to pass it
> > around or store it in order to call the correct release.  We could get
> > around this by having each node store a reference to its reader when it
> > is created.
>
> With regard to the reader, I'd also like to point you to the level 3
> load-store interfaces,
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-DOM-Level-3-CMLS-20010419/load-save.html
>
> where they have a DOMBuilder interface. So while your Reader interface
> is fine as Ft-provided API, I think the DOMBuilder interface has a
> higher chance of getting accepted widely.

Agreed, same with xml.dom.ext.Print.  Infact, all of the stuff in
xml.dom.ext was originally put there as "stuff the w3c will add
eventually"  mainly the reader and printer interfaces.  BAck when it was
only level I, there were functions to get a nodes namespace URI, prefix,
and local name in the ext directory.  We moved to level II and thoase
were not needed.  I think the same should happen with the printers and
readers.

However, are we ready to move to level III?  Is level III ready to be
moved too?  I don't think anyone here(at FT) will have too much time to
work on it for a month or too.  We are really trying to get 1.0 out.
4Suite has been in beta for 3 years as of June 1 :)

This isn't to say that someone else can't do it and we'll help when
where we can.

Mike

--
Mike Olson				 Principal Consultant