[XML-SIG] Metadata in XBEL

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 06:40:21 -0700

> > In summary, despite the compatibility problem with icon names (and paths),
> > I'm very happy if icon="..." and toolbar="yes" are added to XBEL
> > (given that Konqueror already uses those), I suggest to add an <include>
> > possibility, and the few other things that are not in XBEL and that might
> > be in konqueror one day (keywords, scoring), can certainly be done as
> > konq-specific metadata - unless others want to share the same data.
>
> I'm for creating a set of metadata owners which can be considered "standard"
> in that they are defined under common grounds in the open.  Not part of the
> actual specification (as it's best if that is kept small) but a catalogue of
> owners and expected content which would allow sharing of data.  Into this
> could be added all of the usefull attributes which could be shared without
> making XBEL overly complex, such as keywords and scoring.

Though some might not like it, this sounds like a job for namespaces, and for
m12n such as that provided by RSS (which is a rocking success, BTW for
open-source interoperability).  Speaking of RSS, I think XBEL is properly a
job for RDF.

It could be converted to RDF without a lot of damage to its structure.