[XML-SIG] Metadata in XBEL

Ross Burton ross@180sw.com
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 23:26:40 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> > The specification for metadata is vague, <metadata> elements have a
> > "owner" attribute which should be a URI. But what forms of metadata are
> > valid? The DTD implies that there can be no children of metadata
> > elements (the content is EMPTY).
> [...]
> > It does seem that the DTD is in error as requiring all metadata to be in
> > the owner attribute is rather limiting.
>
> That is clearly not the intent, so I'd agree that the DTD is in error.
> You'll have to ask Fred Drake to be sure; I *think* the idea was that
> metadata has a content model of ANY. The documentation makes it clear
> that "owner" is just to tell apart the various sources which may put
> metadata into the bookmark list:
<snip>
> So the intent clearly is that content within the metadata element is
> possible, and may use XML markup.

Thought so.

> That, of course, would mean that a version 1.1 of XBEL needs to be
> issued, so perhaps this is the time to think about other pending
> improvements.

Less child nodes (such as <title>) and more attributes? :-) Only kidding
but libxml (aka gnome-xml) isn't that good with child nodes. I miss W3C
DOM...

Thanks for the mail, it's confirmed what I thought (and feared... :-)

Ross
--
Ross Burton                     Software Engineer
OneEighty Software Ltd          Tel: +44 20 8263 2332