[XML-SIG] Unicode support in xmlproc

27 Mar 2001 18:57:43 +0200

> The question is also what the performance of that would be. Name
> matching is performed very very often, so any changes here strongly
> affect the overall performance of xmlproc.

That is certainly a problem. I had the hope that the Unicode character
classes of Python 2.0 are related to what a BaseChar is in XML, but
that turned out to be wrong: XML uses Unicode 2.0; the Python tables
are based on Unicode 3.0. Also, many letters have been excluded from
BaseChar which count as letters in Unicode.

> It may also be that we want to use a dictionary of characters for
> this. I think several avenues need to be explored here to find the
> best approach.

Indeed; I'll see what I can come up with.

> That's probably easy to fix, since xmlproc is incremental.

I'll look into that as well.

Regards,
Martin