[XML-SIG] file urls in urllib

Mark D. Anderson mda@discerning.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:47:13 -0800

> > file://C:/autoexec.bat
>
> This mapping skips a slash for the hostname. I'm using a commercial tool, XML
> Authority, that is written in Java.  It maps the local file:
> C:/windows/command.com
> to:
> file:///C:/windows/command.com
> This looks consistent with the example mapping of a VMS logical drive in RFC
> 1738:

exactly. if file:///C:/autoexec.bat is correct then file:////etc/passwd should be, regardless
of current practice. as i mentioned, this is clarified in the direction of the slash being
a syntactic separator only in the nfs url rfc2224.

however, i do realize current practice is for the 3-slash version for unix-style paths.

-mda