[XML-SIG] femto-dom?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 22:53:20 -0400 (EDT)

Rich Salz writes:
 > We needed a way to create XML fragments that we could then output within
 > other documents. The DOM API is way too heavyweight.  So we took the
 > Canonicalize() routine, looked at the attributes it uses, and created
 > this femto-DOM.

  Is the problem that the API is too heavy (it is!), or the DOM
objects?  I think an API that wraps a DOM implementation would be very
nice to have, all would allow the resultant DOM to still be used with
tools that expect the full DOM.  I expect the wrapper could be
completely independent of the actual DOM implementation.
  I like the idea of an easier-to-use API.  I can also imagine having
an API this easy to use that supports both SAX and DOM back-ends.
The SAX backend would be really nice when generating a lot of output
that doesn't need to be stored in memory.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations