[4suite] Re: [XML-SIG] xsl:nclude-and-transform

Mike Olson Mike.Olson@fourthought.com
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:29:51 -0600

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> Mike Olson wrote:
>
> > I must be missing the problem statement.  From what I gathered, you want
> > to insert company.xml into your docbook src, but translate xompany.xml
> > into docbook before doing so.  Is that correct?
>
> That's not at all what I read, but I'll let Nico speak for himself.

> This is mostly the question I was answering.  Note *after*, not
> *before*.
>
> > > Failing that, and if you don't mind minimal XSLT additions, the best solution
> > > is probably
> > >
> > > <xsl:template match="affiliation">
> > >   <xsl:variable name="included">
> > >     <xsl:value-of select="document('company.xml')"/>
> > >   </xsl:variable>
> > >   <xsl:copy>
> > >     <xsl:copy-of select="$included"/>
> > >   </xsl:copy>
> > > </xsl:template>
> > >
> > > Does all this help?
> >
> > I guess I also don't see how this is less flexible then using XInclude
> > in the source document.  The only way this is a bit more flexible is
> > that you could parameterize "company.xml".
>
> No.  You can also parameterize when and where you do the inclusions, as
> well as their semantics.
>
> Most importantly, your Docbook stylesheet needn't know anything about
> company.xml's structure.

Something has to convert the structure of company.xml into either
docbook, or the expected output.

Mike

--
Mike Olson                                Principal Consultant
mike.olson@fourthought.com                +1 303 583 9900 x 102