[XML-SIG] on gettext maintenance

Trond Eivind Glomsrød teg@redhat.com
30 Jan 2001 14:05:10 -0500

Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> writes:

> BTW, the "4Suite.de.po" part confuses me.  Based on this and the msgid/msgstr
> combos in the code, I'm guessing each language has a .po.

Yes... but it's usially just called "de.po" (in this case)

> Fine, but again,  how does this feed into msgfmt.py?

Never used that... only the standard gettext modules

> Is a single .mo file created, or one for
> each language?

One for each language... the way it usually works, is that the source
package has a file like "de.po". From that, it creates a .mo file
which eventually is installed as
"/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/4Suite.mo"

> Anyway, so what happens when I change or add messages and all that.  Do I
> simply send brand new .po files to each translation,

Take a look at the makefile for e.g. kbdconfig - it's simple, and it
handles this.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.