[XML-SIG] on gettext maintenance

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:41:39 -0700

Again I read through all the Python gettext docs, and I might just be
completely missing something, but I don't see how .po files are to be cleanly
maintained.

Martin said

"So you'd first produce 4Suite.de.po, send it to me, and I send it back to you
filled with German translations."

BTW, the "4Suite.de.po" part confuses me.  Based on this and the msgid/msgstr
combos in the code, I'm guessing each language has a .po.  Fine, but again,
how does this feed into msgfmt.py?  Is a single .mo file created, or one for
each language?  I see no fields that specify the localization for each .po
file.

Anyway, so what happens when I change or add messages and all that.  Do I
simply send brand new .po files to each translation, maybe sending a diff as
well to make the changes clear?  This seems cumbersome.  Of course, I'm not
sure what scheme would be smoother.

I must say againa that the Python gettext docs are pretty hard to follow, and
they leave quite a few holes unexplained, besides their occasional bad advice
("Once you've used pygettext to create your .pot files, you can use the
standard GNU gettext tools to generate your machine-readable .mo files").

BTW, what's the difference between a .po and .pot file?  If none, why does
msgfmt.py insist on ".po" when the docs just talk about ".pot"?