[XML-SIG] dom implementations

Alexandre Fayolle Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:06:06 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> > Using Uche's 640k document, I get the following timings:
> >
> > minidom: 6.4s
> > 4DOM: 45s
> > pDomlette: 8.9s
>
> That chunky 4DOM.  Who wrote that anyway?

One thing you have to keep in mind is that 4DOM include features not
available in other implementations, such as DOM L2 Events: each time you
manipulate nodes, events get propagated up the DOM tree. This is a huge
overhead, but it is so useful when displaying a DOM in a gui...

> > cDomlette fails since it does not support createElement (pDomlette
> > only has create*NS operations, so I added None as the namespace
> > everywhere).
>
> Yeah.  We're still debating adding mutation to cDomlette.  This thread makes
> me inclined to do so.

This we would consider a good thing. We are considering switching from
4DOM to pDomlette for the kernel of Narval (after 1.0 is released), but
cDomlette would be even better.

Alexandre Fayolle
--
http://www.logilab.com
Narval is the first software agent available as free software (GPL).