[XML-SIG] I am confused...

Roman Suzi rnd@onego.ru
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 22:32:06 +0300 (MSK)

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

>> On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Roman Suzi wrote:
>>
>> >- are Python XML tools (and which of them?) up to the task of facilitating
>> >site-generation with bearable speed?
>>
>> I remember I was doing queries in the form
>> "/article/author/name"
>> - and it was so slow... (0.5 - 1 sec per query on Celeron 400)
>
>What size was the file?  The time you mentioned is in line for using 4XPath on
>a 640KB file, as you can see in this demo:

>1.24777603149
>20000

On my AMD k6-200 this is more than 2 times longer, but still impressing:

python1.5 big.py
2.75321102142

>bigxml is 640K once generated.  I don't think it's unreasonable for processing
>I'm curious to learn more about your data and the Python app you're using.
>You say not 4Suite so I assume you mean the old PyPath that used to come in
>PyXML.

I do not remember exact name.

>> In my application I need many such queries to fill
>> the template - that is why speed was unbearable.
>>
>> Anyway, before claiming XML tools for Python slow I need to recheck
>> with new versions - if there are no objections to the
>> above scheme. (And what is preferrable tool for queries?
>> XPath?)
>
>It depends on the nature of the queries.

Mostly of the type  shown above. Sometimes with conditions.

>> Is there any on-line tutorial (?) or just example code
>> to learn how to work efficiently with XML from Python?
>> (Python is my favorite language while Java is not)
>> I read code from xml.* but it doesn't give me clues
>> for real usage.
>
>If you get 4Suite there are some examples in the demo directories.  And you
>can always get help here.

Thank you! Your example shows good performance of 4Suite tools.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
Vote for my design: http://silvermouse.onego.ru/gray.php3?id=0018
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd@onego.ru _/