[XML-SIG] Problem with 'Bad Request'

Martin v. Loewis martin@mira.cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:00:43 +0100

> this is not a specific xml-Problem, but I hope you will help me
> though. I've got a problem with catching errors. More specific, I
> would like to catch 'Bad Request', which wont't work because of the
> space. Is it a bug in Python? Does anybody know a neat trick?

It is not a bug in Python; please look at the description of the
intern builtin to see why that happens (perhaps the raise/try
specification also requiring on using identical, not equal strings).

Anyway, the neat trick is to write

problemWithBlank = "Problem with blank"

def raiseProblemWithBlank():
    raise problemWithBlank

def test4():
    try:
        raiseProblemWithBlank()
    except problemWithBlank:
        print "Test4: No Problem with blank" # does not work :-(

test4()

Please note that string exceptions are deprecated; the Pythonic way to
write this code is

class ProblemWithBlank(Exception):
    pass

def raiseProblemWithBlank():
    raise ProblemWithBlank

def test4():
    try:
        raiseProblemWithBlank()
    except ProblemWithBlank:
        print "Test4: No Problem with blank" # does not work :-(

test4()

Regards,
Martin