[XML-SIG] build problems with PyXML-0.6.3 on ultra10

Sat, 13 Jan 2001 00:41:07 +0100

> I am not sure how I installed python. I think I just untarred and
> gunzipped the distribution and invoked the Makefile after configuring. I
> have the python directory in ~/Python-2.0

Please have a look at the README file in the python sources. You
should invoke 'make install' to really get a working Python
installation. You probably want to give a --prefix option to
configure.

I believe if you properly install Python, distutils will properly work
as well.

> I donot have anyother python loaded anywhere in the /usr/local area. I
> found this path was more or less hardcoded for posix systems in
> ~/Python-2.0/Lib/distutils/sysconfig.py.

sysconfig.py does not contain the string 'local', so I doubt there is
anything hard coded anywhere. Instead, it uses sys.prefix, which is
the location you gave to configure's --prefix option.

> Even changing this path didn't help as I could not find any config
> sub-directory in Python-2.0.

Yes, that's because 'make install' will create it.

Regards,
Martin