[XML-SIG] Roadmap document - finally!

Ken MacLeod ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us
20 Feb 2001 11:25:05 -0600

Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> writes:

> > "But Wait!!  That's not all!"  :-)
> >
> > As a last note, the C optimization is well underway.
> > Orchard/Mostly-C is about 3-10x faster than pure Python/Perl while
> > still retaining attribute accessors (with overrides), garbage
> > collection, and no problems with cycles.  Current status is that
> > we have a pure Python prototype of the Orchard APIs, and the
> > Python binding is scheduled for early post-1.0 (as always,
> > volunteers can change that!).  We have ported Matt Sergeant's
> > XPath step evaluator to C as an example of C optimization for
> > higher language modules.
>
> How is the memory footprint?

The core runtime, liborchard.so, is 129472 bytes (i386 Linux) and
requires Boehm-Demers-Weiser libgc.so, which is 74212 bytes.  It also
supports the expat 1.95.1 .so, but so should everyone else ;-).

The data footprint is still very small because the runtime is not
maintaining a lot of metainformation yet on classes.

The current "fast/small" DOM is running about 8x XML file size with
slots for XML Namespaces (XML Rec 159357bytes, 1246003bytes in
memory).

  -- Ken