[XML-SIG] Using PyExpat.py

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@home.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:27:20 -0500

This discussion highlights  why I've said several times that you should use
file:/// if you mean a file on your local machine.  I've used a few
commandline tools where you actually had to write that (I forget which ones).
I was annoyed at first, but soon got used to it.  As soon as you do insist on
using file:///, distinctions about local files go away, and it becomes the
responsibility of the url handler code to figure out where to go to get that
particular resource.  Also, you can get files on network file systems with no
extra work, as in file://yourcomputer/...

It's a convenience to let the code try to figure it out from a bare filename.
But all that code should do is to translate a bare absolute local file
reference to the file:/// scheme, then hand it off.

Cheers,

Tom P