[XML-SIG] problems with PyXML 0.6.3

Michael Dyck MichaelDyck@home.com
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 13:33:24 -0800

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> Michael Dyck wrote:
> > Shouldn't the installer remove or rename the existing _xmlplus dir
> > first?
>
> Unfortunately, the installer is based on distutils, which does not
> provide such a capability.

In that case, it might be nice for the download page (or message) to advise
the user to do it before running the installer.

> > xmldoc/test:
> >     Either xmldoc/README or (new file) xmldoc/test/README should tell you
> >     how to run the tests in this dir (`python testxml.py -g', I think),
> >     and how to interpret what happens.  Similarly for subdirs.
> >     Maybe tests should be run automatically on installation.
>
> Not sure about that. Perhaps I should add a note that the tests should
> *not* be run, unless you know what you do.

Yeah, perhaps. But I think there should still be instructions somewhere.
Otherwise the only way to *become* someone who knows what they're doing wrt
tests is to read the code. Or maybe that's sufficient.

> > When I ran one of my DOM programs, I got this exception:
> >         from xml.dom.Node import Node
> >     ImportError: No module named Node
>
> Yes, xml.dom.Node is gone. Why did you need to import it? If it was to
> get at the node type constants, they live in xml.dom.Node now.

Yup.

> > When I tried removing the ".Node" from the import statement, the
> > program ran as before, so apparently that is the fix, but shouldn't
> > this be noted fairly prominently in xmldoc/README or
> > xmldoc/README.dom?
>
> Contributions of documentation are welcome. I'd rather not maintain a
> change log of all API changes; having the current state of the API
> documented somewhere would be good, though.

Well, it wouldn't have to be a log of *all* changes. What I'm really
concerned about are the non-backwards-compatible changes.

> > xmldoc/doc/4DOM/index.html has links to ../PACKAGES.html and
> > ../README.html, which do not exist.
>
> Again, with the next 4DOM update, this might look completely
> different.

Will that be in PyXML 0.6.4?

-Michael