[XML-SIG] Re: DOM creation

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:17:35 -0500 (EST)

Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath writes:
 > If this is the case then should or shouldn't set/getAttribute() in
 > DOM2 "intelligently" assume empty namespace ('')?

  The level 1 methods should ignore the namespaceURI attribute and use
only the nodeName attribute when matching against existing nodes, and
new nodes created via setAttribute() should have a namespaceURI of
None (the Python way to spell the "empty" namespace).

 > Also, is there any specification on construction of DOM for XML
 > documents?  Or does the DOM specs available at W3C describe the
 > construction process?  If so, can somebody tell me in which
 > section?

  I presume you mean from a string or file containing marked text
rather than programmatically via DOM node constructors and
tree-manipulation methods.  There is some effort being made in the DOM
Level 3 working drafts which covers this, but that's still pretty raw.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations