[XML-SIG] problems with PyXML 0.6.3

Alexandre Fayolle Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:48:42 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> So can we think of a better algorithm than the current "check for file, and if
> it doesn't exist, just blindly toss it to urllib)?

If running windows, and the second character of the 'url' is a colon,
replace it with a pipe and prepend file: to the url?

> This problem affects 4Suite as well.

I had to use a similar hack when generating a CATALOG file for Narval, for
use with xmlproc, since urllib would choke on C:\fooo\dtd_base\, and whine
until it got C|\fooo\dtd_base\

Maybe what we need is a new function in os.path or similar that would
perform the file -> URL conversion described above. This would ease the
work of application writers. I, for one, would be much more at ease if I
knew that no implicit assumptions are made on what I pass. If the API
requires an URI/URL, then this is what it should get.

Opinions?

Alexandre Fayolle
--
http://www.logilab.com
Narval is the first software agent available as free software (GPL).