[XML-SIG] Using PyExpat.py

Alexandre Fayolle Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:55:21 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Don Wakefield wrote:

> Uche> To force file overwrites or just blow away the _xmlplus directory in your
> Uche> Python library and reinstall.
>
> Here's an interesting discrepancy. I don't *have* an _xmlplus directory
> in my Python library. I instead have, starting from PYTHONHOME:

Uche was wrong, there. He forgot you were using Python 1.5.2. _xmlplus
comes on python 2.0 to avoid a name conflict.

> I'll work on this more during the week. I'm beginning to think that I'm
> missing stuff anyway. Does PyXML require anything in the Python
> environment other than what comes by default? For instance, PyExpat.py
> has the following line (fragment qyoted):
>
>    raise Ft.Lib.FtException(Ft.Lib.Error.XML_PARSE_ERROR...
>
> But to the best of my knowledge, I don't have any Ft module anywhere in
> my Python install... Could this be part of the problem?

This sounds like a 4Suite problem. I won't attempt to solve this, but just
to give you an idea of what's going on. To my best knowledge, xml.dom
comes from 4Suite, an XML library from Fourthought. This tiny part of the
library is part of PyXML. When used within 4Suite, it uses several other
modules in Ft.* (Ft stands for Fourthought). Periodically, changes from
the 4S cvs repository are commited to the PyXML cvs repository. And
sometimes, these changes were not intended to get there ;o)

I think this is what happened in this case.

Alexandre Fayolle
--
http://www.logilab.com
Narval is the first software agent available as free software (GPL).