[XML-SIG] Underdeveloped installer of the pyXML-0.6.3

Mon, 5 Feb 2001 19:07:02 +0100

> I would hope that the standard xml package (nor PyXML) does not repeat
> that trick (requiring an import for its side effect).  Factory
> functions should be used, and if there's a generic factory function,
> it should also have a sensible default.

No, the trick it engages in is that xml/parsers/expat.py reads

from pyexpat import *

Now, PyXML provides a pyexpat copy that sometimes supercedes the one
in Python (if bugs are detected in the Python version at installation
time). It installs xml/parsers/pyexpat.pyd, so that is found in the
package before the builtin module; if it is not present, the builtin
is used.

I'm not sure what Evgeny's concern was, perhaps that a plain

import pyexpat

in the application would not get the PyXML-provided replacement; there
is not much we could do about that.

Regards,
Martin