[XML-SIG] parsing xml schema

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Sat, 08 Dec 2001 10:29:20 -0700

> Rich Salz <rsalz@zolera.com> writes:
>
> > > Parsing it is no problem; any Python parser will do. Validating it is
> > > currently not supported in PyXML; you may want to try XSV - see the
> > > PyXML "other software" page for a reference.
> >
> > Unless it's changed a lot in the past two months, I'd avoid XSV -- just
> > building it was an adventure.  :(  You should also check out PyTrex, a
> > tree-oriented validation language.
>
> Sorry you had difficulties -- I'd be happy to receive feedback on how
> things didn't go well for you.  Without such feedback, I'm handicapped
> in trying to improve things.

I must say that my first reaction to Rich's post was strong agreement.  I
honestly simply gave up trying to install it on Linux and used Xerces instead.
 As a developer of 4Suite, I know that others sometimes have the same
experience with our software, so we're always looking for ways to make it
easier to set up.  In the case of XSV, perhaps we've been a bit unfair in not
directing our problems to you, who is best placed to fix them.

I think the most important step would be for you to move to using distutils
for the installation of XSV.  This will help improve your cross-platform
usability, for one thing, since you can make a Windows installer using
distutils, and it becomes a simple "python setup.py install" for UNIX users.

Thanks so much for XSV.  I'll try again upon the next release.

4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management