[XML-SIG] 4XSLT Performance Problems with Large Files

Brian Quinlan brian@sweetapp.com
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:09:23 -0700

> Mainly, I don't want to start a separate process each time a user runs
> transform.

Yep. Most transformation engines have pretty bad startup times. Though
if your transformations are taking >10 seconds it probably doesn't
matter. Xalan has a bit slower transformation speed than Saxon but has a
horrible startup time (probably because it is so huge). Running it
in-process solves that problem, of course.

> I haven't used Xalan for a while and have been meaning to get the
latest
> versoin to try on this.  The Python binding might be good to try.
Thanks.

The Python bindings are for Xalan 1.1. The CVS version works correctly
with Xalan 1.2 but hasn't been extensively tested. I can send you a
binary if you are interested.

Cheers,
Brian