[XML-SIG] comparing xml documents

Rich Salz rsalz@zolera.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:52:21 -0400

> Hmm, in that case, doc1.toxml()==doc2.toxml() is probably just right, then?

I'm not sure.  The following are semantically equivalent:
	<a foo='fooval' bar='barval'/>
	<a bar='barval' foo='fooval'></a>
	<a xmlns='' bar='barval' foo='fooval'/>
Should the compare the same?  Probably.  I'd be surprised if the toxml
method worked.

> What do folks generally do when they want to compare two xml documents?

You have to do something like convert them to a canonical form and
compare those.  Luckily :), pyxml (the CVS version, not yet the released
version) has XML C14N code.  You can rip that out and use it
stand-alone.  (Shameless plug) you can also find it on the W3C web site,
look for XML Digital Signature.

Hope this helps.
	/r$
Encryption)