[XML-SIG] Spec for marking book reviews on the Web

Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:39:37 -0400

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:53:45PM +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>I'm not an expert on OPACs (online public access catalogs), but I
>think a review should provide information similar to the book as you'd
>find it in a library catalog.

I disagree.  There are existing library and publisher catalogs, and I
see no need to duplicate them.  If I write book reviews, I won't
necessarily enter the publisher, page count, Dewey Decimal or Library
of Congress classification; ISBN is about all I would reasonably
expect, and an existing collection of reviews (such as mine :) may not
even have the ISBN, just title/author.  The ISBN would then be
sufficient to correlate reviews with a library database.

Another spec change: Danny Yee has privately suggested support for
multiple books in a review.   That would be easy, resulting in a DTD
something like (title, author+)+.

--amk