[XML-SIG] Python Wrapper for Xerces/Xalan

Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:58:12 +0200

> We consider doing a wrapper for Xerces and Xalan as an OS project. One
> question is where to host it:
>
> 	1. Own SourceForge project
> 	2. Part of PyXML
> 	3. Part of Xerces / Xalan projects
>
> 3 is unlikely. Option 2 seems not too clever, since installing Xerces
> and Xalan are extra steps anyway, and I doubt anyone seriously wants to
> include them in a standard PyXML distribution.

I would not mind including it in PyXML, if setup.py could be talking
into auto-detecting a Xerces installation, and building the wrapper
only if Xerces is available. Of course, creating a new project is just
fine.

In any case, it would be desirable if the wrappers register themselves
at the relevant SAX/DOM parser factories, so that users can make use
of them without even knowing that they are there. That, of course,
assumes that you will follow the Python SAX and DOM mappings.

Regards,
Martin