[XML-SIG] Re: using character entities in external DTD without validating

Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:57:16 +0200

> Instead of trying to coerce a single set of tools to work on your files
> without validation, it might be a better use of your time to come up with
> a maximally vacuous DTD for your documents.  That way you'd still be able
> to use your character references, but because you now have validatable
> documents you wouldn't be tying yourself to any single toolset.

The key point to notice here is that he wanted to use CPython for
speed. Now, if he had to produce a DTD and use a validating parser to
get the external entities expanded, then the parser would be
xmlproc. I'm not all that certain that this would be faster than using
a Java parser from JPython, since xmlproc isn't the fastest thing on
earth.

OTOH, sgmlop *is* the fastest parser that PyXML can offer, so it might
be the right tool.

Regards,
Martin