[XML-SIG] Python package name

Paul prescod@prescod.net
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:02:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> Paul and myself think that having the same package name is good in the
> long run, as it might include a lot of things in the future, but still
> will have a non-obvious name (like Emacs' ever-growing tinylib).

At one point Guido clarified that xml and xmlcore could migrate to xmlplus
and xml over time, just as long as we give people time to change and an
upgrade path.

I understood this as:

pyxml gets an xmlplus alias now
pyxml gives up xml in six months
xmlcore gets an xml alias then
xmlcore name is deprecated sometime later

It's kind of ugly but I could live with it.

If the xmlplus hack works (really works, without subtle side effects) then
I would prefer that.

 Paul Prescod