[XML-SIG] Signature of startElement

Sun, 17 Sep 2000 23:25:53 +0200

> What we don't want to do is get rid of qnames/prefixes in the name of
> consistency with the current (or beta 2) library if the latter doesn't
> understand namespaces.  We've got to be able to get namespaces into the
> distribution some way.

FWIW, the startElement in 2.0 is defined as

    def startElement(self, name, attrs):
        """Signals the start of an element.

        The name parameter contains the name of the element type as a
        (uri ,localname) tuple, the qname parameter the raw XML 1.0
        name used in the source document, and the attrs parameter
        holds an instance of the Attributes class containing the
        attributes of the element."""

The parser does indeed pass a (uri, localname) pair to startElement,
so it *is* capable of dealing with namespaces right now. The only
uncertainty is the qname parameter, which is also passed and
documented, but not listed in the base class signature.

Now matter what change is perfomed on this API, it has to happen
quickly.

> Not to tell the man who's doing it what to do, but if we can get
> Lars' proposal implemented, and keep the **non-NS-aware** methods
> consistent with the same methods in the Python 2 library, we'll be
> in good shape.  Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

I still can't see how a full specification of the interface would look
like. I understand that there are supposed to be four methods,
{start|end}Element[NS]. What are their signatures: How many
parameters, what types have the parameters?

Regards,
Martin