[XML-SIG] consolidation?

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 02:03:45 -0600

> | PyXML doesn't conform to the specifications. Xmlproc's methods and
> | mechanisms for SAX parsing don't follow the SAX standard and this
> | will be a problem for people who want to use Python as a XML
> | solution.
>
> There are two reasons for this, the most important being that xmlproc
> is older than SAX, and so obviously could not start out with a SAX
> interface. Secondly, the xmlproc APIs still offer a lot of
> functionality that SAX does not, although once SAX 2.0 is finalized it
> could conceivably start using a SAX 2.0 interface.

Please do _not_ by any means eliminate the native xmlproc interface.  As you
said it provides much that SAX (even SAX2 doesn't).

Of course, xmlproc is usually pointed out as an excellent library for DTD
parsing routines, even by non-pythoneers on XML-DEV, which I think should be
enough testimonial that it ain't broke right now.