[XML-SIG] Character encodings and expat

27 Oct 2000 12:24:09 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

* mal@lemburg.com

| You might want to have a look at the code in  encodings/aliases.py
| It includes the aliasing "database" which the encodings package uses
| to map encoding names to codec names.
|
| If not all IANA names are included in this list, it would be
| a good idea adding them...

It would indeed. :)  I intended to submit a patch if I found any to be
missing.

* Lars Marius Garshol

* mal@lemburg.com

| Tamito KAJIYAMA has written a few Asian cocecs. These are not
| high-performance, but fairly complete and also a great example of
| how codecs package can be written.

That's only Shift-JIS and EUC-JP, though.  Is there any concerted
effort afoot to make a more complete set?  At the very least,
ISO 2022-JP, Big5, VISCII, GB-2312 and EUC-KR should be implemented.

| More about this on the i18n-sig mailing list.

Well, if only a single response is required I would prefer to get that
here.

--Lars M.