[XML-SIG] the faster way to get a dom.

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:18:28 -0600

> > Are the large documents such that a subset of the DOM would suffice for your
> > use?
>
> On another note, does it make a difference to use a different parser?
> I don't know whether sgmlop is sophisticated and compatible enough for
> the ext.reader functions - I'd be interested to learn whether it makes
> any difference, though.
>
> It appears that you can't tell FromXml and friends what parser to use;
> if you have PyXML 0.6.1, you can influence choice of parser by setting
> the PY_SAX_PARSER environment variable (use
> xml.sax,saxexts.make_parser() to see whether it really gives you a
> sgmlop driver).

Right now you can only specify parser by hacking FromXml or influencing
saxlib's choice of parser as you say.  It might be useful to write some
low-level 4DOM readers that don't have to go through SAX.  For instance, using
sgmlop's low-level interface should be _many_ times faster than expat via
saxlib.