[XML-SIG] Re: [4suite] ANN: 4Suite 0.9.1

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:16:14 -0600

Alexandre Fayolle wrote:

> Congratulations.
>
> It works great here.

Phew!  No one uncovers bugs as diligently as you do, so that's good to
hear.  Of course, it's only been a few hours, eh?

> > 4Suite is a collection of Python tools for XML processing and object
> > database management.  An integrated packaging of several formerly
> > separately-distributed components: 4DOM, 4XPath and 4XSLT, 4RDF, 4ODS
> > and featuring the new 4XPointer.
>
> Why does 4XPointer live in Ft/ and not in xml/ ? Do you plan to move xpath
> and xslt to Ft/ too ?

The Python XML-SIG really "owns" the "xml" Python package namespace and
we don't intrude on it without its permission.  DOM moved there for
obvious reasons (it's now the official full DOM of the SIG).  Earlier
this year the decision was made to move xslt and xpath there as part of
initial moves towards incorporating them into the xml-sig package but I
think concerns over their cross-platform compatability are holding up
outright adoption.  We haven't discusssed 4RDF or 4XPointer (or the
coming 4XLink).

Is it time to reopen this discussion?