[XML-SIG] XML to Object translation

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 11:50:18 -0700

> Rich Salz <rsalz@caveosystems.com> writes:
>
> > > The idea is basically that when you have an XML document of a
> > > particular type (say RSS) you make a mapping file that describes
> > > how to create an object structure from the file. For RSS this
> > > might look as shown below.
> >
> > I wonder if the syntax of that mapping file could be XSLT?
>
> XSLT would work very well as long as it can handle the full
> transformation.  In the XSLT stylesheet, the "output schema" would
> follow a regular pattern, not unlike SOAP or WDDX, that can then
> easily be converted to objects.
>
> The one drawback to using XSLT is that many conversions to objects
> require a little bit more code to get things to work well, so XSLT +
> some embedded scripting would be even better.

I disagree.  If we use a similar model as pickle, in most cases, all the user
needs to provide is the equivalent of __getinitargs__.  I'd say the cases
where __setstate__ type function is required would be infrequent.

Given this, it could be handled by special XSLT extension arguments that use
its attributes to initialize the corresponding Python objects.  I think we
still have this proposal floating somewhere on the Zope XMLObject Wiki.  I'll
try to dig it up.