[XML-SIG] Entity tralation in XSLT

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:15:18 -0700

> "Martin v. Loewis" <martin@loewis.home.cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:
> =

> > > Are there known problems with entity handling in XSLT with
> > > PyXML-0.5.5.1 and 4Suite 0.9.1?
> > =

> > Not that I know of.
> > =

> > > This is an simple example, but it also happens in more complex
> > > documents  - &gt; is translated, &lt; isn't =

> > =

> > Can you please say why you think this is a problem?
> =

> Because I need it ("<") in templates - I'm building complex
> structures. "<" needs to be specified this way (AFAIK) to
> differentiate between this and the start of a tag.

Ah, it looks as if you are falling afoul of XML, not 4Suite.

"<" and ";" are the only "normal" characters that _must_ be escaped in =

character data.  "&gt;", "&quot;", "&apos;", etc. are optional except whe=
re =

they'd cause confusion with attribute quotes or CDATA section markers.

4XSLT uses all the latitude it has to minimize escaping because unnecessa=
ry =

escaping causes bloat and lack of readibility.  If you are using other =

conformant XML tools, 4XSLT's output should work just fine.

Maybe I'm still missing something?

-- =

Fourthought, Inc.                         http://Fourthought.com =