[XML-SIG] Element.firstChild() returns error

Jay Chalfant jchalfan@outbackinc.com
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:22:13 -0800

Hello All..

I just discovered PyXML and would first like to say thanks to all those who
have contributed to the project. I'm a new user of Python and have been
using XML for about 6 months (mostly Java) and am very excited about the
confluence of the two. Now to the meat of this post.. ;-)

By pawing around in the code, I discovered that instead of using
getFirstChild() I should use firstChild() on a Node. So first question, is
there a documented Python language binding to the DOM?

Secondly, when I try to use this method on an Element, I get the following
error:

>>> acctList1
<Element Node at 9131308: Name = 'Accounts' with 0 attributes and 3
children>
>>> acctList1.firstChild()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: no __call__ method defined

Is this an error in the implementation or in my use?

Finally, I noticed the javadom.py module. The comments indicate that this
module is to allow access to Java implementations from Python. What I was
hoping for was a wrapper to provide the Java IF's to the Python
implementation! Is this a reasonable request or am I up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance for your time.

-J

Jay Chalfant
OutBack Resource Group