[XML-SIG] unicode data

Alexandre Fayolle Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 17:57:35 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, chris davis wrote:

> Thanks for the help.  In an earlier email you wrote:
>
> "You'd need to use a driver that produces byte strings. I believe both
> sgmlop and xmlproc will do at the moment (at least until they are
> fixed to produce Unicode)."
>
> Does that mean this solution will only work until those drivers are
> updated?

It means that the DOM spec specifies that the CharacterData holds its data
in a DOMstring type, and adds :

"Applications must encode DOMString using UTF-16 (defined in [Unicode] and
Amendment 1 of [ISO/IEC 10646])"

Using an interface not called DOMstring is allowed by the spec, as long as
the encoding is UTF-16.

This implies that 4DOM is not compliant when used with Python 1.5.2.

Alexandre Fayolle
--
http://www.logilab.com
Narval is the first software agent available as free software (GPL).