[XML-SIG] Help building XML-related Python RPM?

Nicolas Chauvat Nicolas.Chauvat@logilab.fr
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 15:37:15 +0100 (CET)

On 2 Nov 2000, Norman Walsh wrote:

> Ok, I admit this is somewhat off-topic, but I'm hoping you'll forgive
> me. I'm trying to build a binary RPM for a Python XML package (the LT

Did you try to use distutils ?

> The difficulty is that I have no experience building RPMs. I'm hoping
> someone can send me a pointer to the "how to build an RPM"

There is an RPM-HOWTO at
=09http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/RPM-HOWTO/index.html

It is not really up-to-date, nor is /usr/doc/rpm-x.y.z/*, but that's all
the documentation that is available. I wouldn't recommand using the
Maximum RPM book, as it is also outdated.

> documentation and an RPM that's sufficiently like the one I need to
> build that I can steal most of what I need from it :-)
>=20
> In a nutshell, what the package needs to install is
>=20
>  1. [/usr/local]/lib/ltxml12
>  2. [/usr/local]/include/ltxml12
>  3. [/usr/local]/bin/{some apps}
>  4. [/usr/local]/lib/python1.6/site-packages/PyLTXML

> Where I presume the tricky bit in the RPM is figuring out if Python1.6
> is installed (and what the other dependencies are) and what
> [/usr/local] really should be.

The end of /usr/doc/rpm-x.y.z/macros helps.

For example spec files, you can download any source rpm package, install
it and take a look at the spec file that got unpacked in
/usr/src/redhat/RPM/SPECS.

Feel free to mail me and continue this discussion off-line if you want.

--=20
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais o=F9 est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (F=
rance)