[XML-SIG] XML serialization / marshalling via DTD

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 31 May 2000 12:02:04 -0500

You have to be very careful with what these iceberg people are trying to
do. Let's imagine that we make a technology that can read a Java class
and make a perfect DTD for the data in the class. Now you want to change
the implementation of the class for performance reasons...do you change
the DTD? If not, then you need to introduce some level of abstraction
between the raw XML and the objects you are creating. If you DO change
the DTD automatically then what value is the DTD providing anyhow? You
might as well just serialize the object with a fixed DTD like SOAP or
XML-RPC because the real "schema" is the Java code.

I think you need to separately maintain your DTD or schema and your
Python or Java implementation. Then you need to implement a mapping
layer. That's what people use the various XML APIs for.

"I want to give beauty pageants the respectability they deserve."
            - Brooke Ross, Miss Canada International