[XML-SIG] Pull Parsing

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 11 May 2000 05:06:46 -0700

Juergen Hermann wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2000 09:36:56 -0700, Paul Prescod wrote:
>
> >A very simple API is forming in my head:
>
> I would not return DOM nodes, but PYX-like tupels (node-type, node-name, node-
> value). You wanted it simple! :)

Some nodes have no meaningful value, some have no meaningful name and
some have "extra" information like attributes and processing instruction
targets. Overall I don't think that it is simpler.

> You can then put higher levels of abstraction above that, like RAX or your
> simple-DOM interface.

Unfortunately we have to be careful about the number of levels of
abstraction we build in. The push->pull abstraction would already suck
some speed...
Art is always at peril in universities, where there are so many people,
young and old, who love art less than argument, and dote upon a text
that provides the nutritious pemmican on which scholars love to chew.
				-- Robertson Davies in "The Cunning Man"