[XML-SIG] javadom.py

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:46:45 -0700

> Here is my first attempt at javadom.py.  If I get permission to do so
> I will check it into CVS, but for the moment I'm only posting it here.
> Note that it's still pretty rough and hasn't seen all that much testing.
>
> One unsettled question (for me) is where to put the various DOM
> constants and how to name the get/set methods.  I've mimicked PyDOM,
> but have since seen that 4DOM does it differently.  Has it been
> decided which interface 4DOM will have when it's integrated into the
> XML-SIG package?

Hmm.  I think you'll find yourself between Scylla and Charybdis on this one.
It was decided on this list that the get_parentNode convention as well as
straight attribute access would be The Python Way and we changed 4DOM to match
this.  I think the only reason PyDOM doesn't yet is lack of time.  (Comments,
Andrew?)

But of course the Java binding to the DOM cuts across all but Java convention
with the GetParentNode approach.  This is how 4DOM used to be, but it was the
least favorite approach when we discussed the matter.  However if you don't go
with the Java convention you might find it confusing.

I guess the determinig factor might be a subtle description of the targeted
users: Java users trying to hook into Python goodies or Python users trying to
hook into Java goodies?

--
Uche Ogbuji
Fourthought, Inc., IT Consultants