[XML-SIG] Working with RTF

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:40:35 +0100

At 1:24 pm +0200 28/3/00, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
>* Tony McDonald
>|
>| Can I use the SGML parsers to manipulate RTF?
>
>Why would you expect to be able to?  Microsoft Rich Text Format is not
>an SGML application, so no SGML parser can read it.  Some SGML
>scripting environments like OmniMark and Balise have additional
>features that allow this (effectively separate parsers), but this
>isn't part of their SGML parsers.

Ah, good point. I've used the Omnimark system and the rtf2xml
Omnimark program a lot, and I suppose my mind  put 2 and 2 together
and got something at right angles to reality.

I'm using Omnimark to do the initial rtf2xml and from there to
another XML form, where Python takes over to put the data in an SQL
database. Thing is, at a later stage, I want to *go back* to the
original RTF and insert some Python generated content into certain
places in the RTF itself.

I thought I'd be able to  use sgmlop or its cousins to locate those
places easily and do the replacement (I could use Omnimark again, but
my scripts are all Python after the initial Omnimark parses).

cheers
tone.
------
Dr Tony McDonald,  FMCC, Networked Learning Environments Project
http://nle.ncl.ac.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 222 5888
Fingerprint: 3450 876D FA41 B926 D3DD  F8C3 F2D0 C3B9 8B38 18A2