[XML-SIG] XBEL metadata question

Chad Loder cloder@acm.org
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:12:54 -0500 (EST)

In that case, we could just do what Juergen Hermann suggested, making
the owner be "http-meta" or some such thing.

I have been thinking of other page metadata we could use:

<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="...">
<META NAME="author" CONTENT="...">

Probably the charset and language are important, and maybe even the
PICS content rating.

Also, in my estimation, only 1 out of 10 pages has decent metadata in
it, so maybe some search-engine style heuristics to take an abstract
of the page (the first paragraph maybe) and store it in an "abstract"
metadata or somesuch.

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Chad Loder writes:
>  > What should the owner be of the metadata tags I create? Should it
>  > be my program?
>
>   I should clarify a little more; I don't think of "application" in
> the "name of program" sense, but it can be either a single program or
> a larger suite of tools that may be extended in some way.  It is
> intended to fairly well identify what the stuff is for, not the
> specific program(s).
>   There should be a *single* "application" that represents
> page-embedded metadata instead of everyone keeping their own copy in
> separate <metadata> elements.  An (informal) registry of application
> names under http://www.python.org/topics/xml/xbel/ would be
> appropriate if we were actually concerned about name clashes.  ;)
>

>   -Fred
>
> --
> Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>
> Corporation for National Research Initiatives

| Chad Loder - Somerville, MA, USA                 |
| EMail:     cloder@acm.org                        |
| Home Page: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/cloder    |